Monday, May 11, 2015

When Reality & Expectations Clash||Blood Work & Life Update

It's only been about 3.5 months since I last blogged. Gasp! Life is busier with other things that take priority keeping the scant seventy-two blog readers updated on life. Not to mention, Instagram is so much more convenient. :) Nevertheless, I don't want my blog to completely die and hope to pop in a few times over the summer with posts.

One of my goals for 2015 was to have the healthiest year yet, along with significantly shaving time off of my 5K personal best times for both mile and overall. If I walked into a normal, family doctor for a physical, they would declare me a healthy twenty-three year old, which I am for the most part. But over the last few years, I've been dealing with minor, yet constant and reoccurring, symptoms with no logical answers. Think severe stomach cramps at random times, inability to lose body fat, poor sleep, fatigue, brain fog, and constantly dealing with chest congestion/coughs/sore throats, etc. Nothing life threatening or debilitating, but  not normal for someone my age who eats well and regularly exercises.

I made a decision that instead of guessing if something was actually going on, or feeling like I was crazy because of my random symptoms, I was going to fork over the cash and head to a integrative doctor/chiropractor. A complete panel of blood work was ordered, along with the snipping of some of my precious locks to do a hair analysis for heavy metals and toxins. When the results returned, it turned out I wasn't completely crazy, my blood work matched up with the symptoms I was experiencing. Including low white blood cell count and extremely high monocytes. A normal monocyte range would be 5.0-8.0, mine was 24.0. My immune system isn't functioning anywhere near what it should be, hence, I've been sick at least one week out of every month for the past 6 months. My thyroid is low functioning, my good cholesterol was too low, among other things that all pointed back to the symptoms I was experiencing.

Fast forward to February and March. I was given 14 different supplements and a restricted diet, including no soy [I try to avoid it anyway], no dairy, no refined sugars or flour, no preservatives, artificial anything. I've already gone without gluten for an extended period of time, so they wanted to rule out soy and dairy allergies. Just ask my mother, I'm a bit notorious for not sticking with things I start. But this, I was dedicated to seeing it through and making sure I did it all right so that I could finally get answers.

A little over a week ago I finally got to go back to see the results of my hard work over the past two months. Even though I hadn't felt any different yet and still catching germs like nobodies business, I was sure the results would be very telling. Unfortunately, my doctor in the practice decided to move to the West coast, leaving my case with another chiropractor in the office. Long story short, I'm not her biggest fan, but am still trying to give her grace since I'm sure her work has been doubled with one less doctor in the office. There were some great improvements, my vitamin D levels are superb now, among other things. But my white blood cell count is still low and my monocytes are still really high [though they went from a 24.0 to 19.0], and a few things actually worsened. Why, I'm not sure...I didn't think to ask during my appointment so I plan on contacting my doctor to find out.

Chasing my best health ever is akin to chasing a rabbit down a trail, you never know what twists and turns will come next. It's frustrating, expensive, and time consuming, yet I know consistency is the key, even when it feels like nothing is going how I think it should.

He gives strength to the weary
    and increases the power of the weak. 
 Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall; 
 but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:29-31

 My time was several minutes slower than what I wanted it to be, but I did still manage to come in second for females 21-24.

 Other life happenings in the past few months: 

 After a 6-ish year friendship, started via our blogs, I finally got to meet the awesome Priscilla Stepanian when she came to visit me for a long weekend. 

 My niece continues to grow in orneriness and sweetness. 

 Jae turned 21 a few weeks ago!
 My parents are forever perfecting the landscaping/garden. New garden boxes for mom, built by dad.
and perhaps the biggest news since I last blogged would be the new life expected at the beginning of December! Hallie is excited to become a big sister. :)

2 comments:

  1. bless your heart! i will definitely being praying for total healing.
    loved catching up with your posts. <3 and yes, ig is totally taking over for me too. :/ although, i'm trying to get back in the swing of things. :)

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments.