Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Homemade Granola Bars//Basic Recipe

 I've been on the hunt for a granola bar recipe that I felt good about starting my day with. This recipe is just that, and is able to have so many variations to fit those with diet restrictions. It's also a very basic recipe with a lot of wiggle room to play around with. 

Basic Granola Bar Recipe:

2 cups oats
2 cups of whatever nuts/seeds/chocolate chips/dried fruit. I used roasted pumpkin seeds. But the skies the limit. You could even just do all four cups in oats. Play around until you hit a flavor you love. 
2/3 cup nut butter [peanut, almond, sesame seed, etc]
2/3 cup honey [go with raw...way better for you] 
2/3 cup coconut oil or butter
Spices to taste: cinnamon, pumpkin or apple pie spice, carob powder, coarse sea salt, etc.

Directions
In a small saucepan, heat together your nut butter, honey, and coconut oil/butter until melted together and warm. I'd advise stirring it and scraping the bottom to ensure it doesn't burn. . Add to your dry ingredients and stir. You'll want to add chocolate chips after this has cooled so they don't melt!  Press into a 9x11 pan and refrigerate for 2 hours. Because these need to be stored in the fridge, I cut mine into bar sizes and layered them in an air tight container making it an easy, to-go breakfast.

The first time I made these I used coconut oil and coconut palm sugar and added carob powder. I loved the flavor with the carob powder, think peanut butter and chocolate. Yum! But unfortunately, the honey is needed to bind everything together, so I ended up with a cross between bars and granola. The coconut oil was also too strong for my taste....so I used butter instead this time. 




I've found other healthy recipes that I want to try soon here: https://aloha.com/mag/recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment

I <3 comments.