Friday, September 12, 2014

What the Bible Says About Friends

Recently, a group of girls and I have been dissecting and studying the book of James. If you've not studied this book, I'd highly encourage you to, as each chapter is filled with amazing wisdom that is very practical for us to be working on applying in our life today. Hands down this is my favorite book of the Bible. Beth Moore also has a great study on the book of James that I did last year with my momma. I've been going back through the study to better understand James and see where other parts of Scripture tie into verses in James.


 One thing that really stuck out to me that wasn't in the book of James, was a new perspective on friendship Beth wrote about. She says, "Friendship with the world is vastly more convenient because we live on the crowded pinhead of its epicenter. It's as close as our nearest billboard and shouts at us from our grocery-store checkout. It holds hands with us in the movies and eats with us in front of the TV. It promises pleasure and often delivers. So, no one who lives in this world is a friend of God accidentally. We make a choice where we want to be most present. A hard choice. Face-to-face or presence-to-presence intimacy with Christ only comes intentionally."

Friendship is defined as insider knowledge. We can look at an example of the friendship Jesus had with the disciples in John 15:15. It says, "I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I have learned from my Father I have made known to you."

Close friendship doesn't happen with hundreds of people on social media. It happens with a small group of people you invite into your life, you invest in, and you share parts of your life with that you don't share with others. It also needs to be visual, face-to-face. Don't just let your friendships be texting or emailing, especially when you live near one another. Nothing replaces grabbing coffee together or taking a walk and being able to share your life with a tangible human being.

Let's also not neglect to spend quality time with Jesus. He's the best friend any one could seriously ask for. He won't leave us, He won't speak lies about us, He is always gentle and kind, He listens to us, and He knows our hearts WAY better than even we know it. He lovesyou so dearly, and He wants to know you intimately.

What traits do you value in your close friends? I really appreciate it when people are good listeners and loyal. 

1 comment:

  1. What traits do you value in close friends? Loyalty, kinda like a golden retriever;)

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments.