Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Health, Fitness Goals, & What Not To Eat....

For several years now, I have loved learning about healthy, natural living. This past spring I became a certified personal trainer, with a slight interest in working in the fitness industry, but mostly for my own knowledge and desire to learn more [and I felt like it was something the Lord was nudging me to do]. The interesting thing about the health and fitness world is the vastness of opinions on food, exercise, and supplements. Healthy recipes, exercise routines, homemade remedies, etc. fill the internet and book stores, easily accessible to all, making it a popular topic to discuss (and debate).

 Do you ever feel overwhelmed with what to eat or what not to eat? Some say yes to raw honey and pure maple syrup, some say only pure stevia extract. Yes to grains, no to grains, only soaked grains. Full fat dairy, low fat dairy, no dairy. Limitless fruits and veggies, limit fruits. Naturally raised meat, selective meat, no meat. No butter, lots of butter. Olive oil on everything, non heated olive oil. It is SO confusing! My theory on it all is...go with what works for your body if it is real food. Real food being food that is as close to it's original form as possible. I'm not a food purest, I don't eat real food 100% of the time. But boy, I try really hard to...at least breakfast and lunch since I do still live at home and I am not in charge of dinner...which I will say, is normally pretty healthy too.

The past year and a half I've been on a quest to straighten out some hormonal issues I have, specifically thyroid and pituitary, potentially others since they all tie together [and let's be real, it could also be a deficiency of some sort too or a combo of things]. I go to a natural chiropractor that has been working with me to get this figured out.Currently we are on an uphill swing, but it has previously caused me to just not feel like myself, and I wondered if I was imagining all these things. It was normal for me to feel lethargic most days, have poor sleep/insomnia, gain weight without being able to lose it, low basil temperature/constantly cold,  heart palpitations, brain fog, and excessive hair loss. I am currently taking a supplement for my pituitary because that feeds the thyroid and I wasn't noticing any changes with the thyroid supplement. Health issues can be frustrating.
 This past May my dad had a seizure in the middle of Lowes, the first [and we pray the last] he has ever had. After months of doctors appoints and tests to see what caused it, we found out he is hypoglycemic. Meaning his blood sugar can sore high, then crash dangerously low, which is what caused his seizure. The morning of the seizure he had decided that McDonald's pancakes sounded good, so on his way to the bank, he got some. For anyone, white flour with fake maple syrup on top just turns into pure sugar in the body. Maybe he wouldn't have had the seizure if he had eaten some protein to balance some of the simple carbs out, I don't know. About two hours after he ate his breakfast,  he was at Lowes with mom. They were talking to a sales associate at the time when mom noticed his head tipped back and his eyes rolled back in his head. With the help of the Lowes employee, they were able to lay him down and the man held dad's head as mom went to find someone to call 911. We are so thankful that he wasn't driving at the time and mom was with him. I beat them to the hospital as I had been getting re-certified in CPR/First Aid that morning and had surprisingly finished hours before I was scheduled to. Our diet has been tweaked a bit as he is learning how to keep his blood sugar balanced to avoid spikes. That's a little difficult for a man who loves ice cream, tons of fruit, and will often skip breakfast and sometimes lunch. He's also happy to have been cleared to drive again, after about 5 months of being chauffeured around by mom.It is normal for someone who has had a seizure to not be able to drive for 6 months after they've had an episode.
 I try to avoid drinking from plastic water bottles..I have two glass ones and a metal one I use. I also have been putting liquid chlorophyll [the stuff that makes grass green] in my water. It has several benefits.

I guess to tie this random post all together [blaming the brain fog. ha] here is what I do. I try to focus on staying healthy physically, spiritually, and mentally. I try not to stress over the little things in life and I make time to relax and do things I enjoy that destress me. Read a book, take a walk, organize my room [you think I'm kidding]. Spiritually I strive to be diving into God's Word daily so that His truths are on my mind and are growing, challenging, and changing me. Physically I exercise and eat well. Biking, running, and strength training are my go to's. I avoid sugar as often as my sweet tooth allows, eat butter in moderate amounts, oats for breakfast many mornings, make my own yogurt, eat fruits and veggies everyday, and always have a water bottle with me.The best thing you can do is move and be aware of what you are putting into your mouth, sounds simple right?


Coming soon.....

Homemade yogurt recipe & overnight oats w/ chia seeds.

1 comment:

  1. Liv- Thanks so much for this post. I think seeing my dad in the hospital after his heart attack, and then again after his triple bypass really has had a big impact on me. He is very strong….not just for his age. I personally would love to know more about your healthy eating and the changes you've made to correct some of those physical issues….because I think more people deal with those than you realize. Thanks again for your honest posts. I love them!

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments.