Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Food Love

THIS is it. I have finally discovered the most amazing granola recipe. Chocolate and peanut butter forge together to make this masterpiece of clean eating [read: real food but still high in calories]. It's drool worthy and so simple.


Ingredients: 
6 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/4 cup nuts or seeds [totally optional...I left them out]
6 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup peanut butter of your choosing [go with a natural version that just contains peanuts and salt....no sugar!]
2/3 cup honey [could try substituting for pure maple syrup, molasses, or sorghum]
1/2 cup coconut oil [melted]
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 325 and line two baking sheets with foil or parchment paper.

Mix oats, nuts/seeds, and cocoa powder. In a separate bowl, melt coconut oil. Then, add in peanut butter, honey, and vanilla and whisk together. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until everything is moist. Divide between your two baking sheets and spread it out evenly. Bake for 30 minutes stirring every 10 minutes [I also rotate my cooking sheets when I stir it so that one pan doesn't get too done on the bottom or the top]. Let it cool for 30 minutes before storing it in an air tight container or zip lock bag. Letting it cool will help make it more crunchy!

Feel free to get creative with this adding in dry fruit, cinnamon, nuts and seeds, whatever else your little heart desires! Eat it by itself, on top of yogurt, or drowned in milk.

Other recent foods I've fallen in love with:
 Spinach with strawberries, slivered almonds, and raspberry vinaigrette dressing. I've been try to eat more dark leafy greens lately, including putting them in breakfast smoothies. 
Avocado. One of thee best sources for healthy, plant based fat. Ohio doesn't always get the greatest avocados, so I rejoice every time I slice one open and find it perfectly ripe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I <3 comments.