Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Living A Legacy

I had originally thought I coined the phrase "Living a legacy, " until I realized it must have subconsciously been in my head from always listening to Dave Ramsey...it's a common phrase of his.

Leaving a legacy is almost a cliche term, frequently to be heard when talking about finances. I've been mulling around with the thought of what kind of legacy do I want to leave, but the Lord has shown me that first you must live in such a way that you have something worth leaving.


Legacy: [n.] Anything handed down from the past, as from an ancestor or predecessor.

I think a legacy can be anything, not just something tangible that is passed through generations. The principles and moral standard in which we conduct our lives right now lays the foundation for those to come after us. I think this applies to both those with and without kids-because no matter what phase of life you're in, there will always be others growing, learning, and watching your example--especially as a Believer.

How are you preparing now for the next quarter of a century of your life?  I've not even made it to one full quarter century, yet, NOW is the time to start thinking about the future. Your life now, especially as an early 20-something, lays the foundation for the rest of your life. Is your foundation going to be built on the Rock...or on the sand, ever changing each time the wind blows and the waves crash? 

 "Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is." Ephesians 5:15-17

We live in a big, big world. And I know that I know very little, compared to all that there is to learn. Actually, each time I learn something new, I realize just how little I actually know. And for this being the information age, we sure have a lot of people running around knowing a whole lot of nothing, myself included [sometimes]!

Whenever I hit up the library, which is rare anymore, I try to always find books on topics I don't really know anything about. Even by just scanning through them, I normally learn something I didn't know before. Last weeks find included basic bee keeping and a chicken encyclopedia. I would love to try raising bees and I can't wait for the day when I can have my own flock of chickens. But, if that never happens, then I will be well versed in chicken breeds and how to extract honey, which of course will be useful somehow....right? I'm also going to take square dancing lessons starting next week. Can you say classy?  

Arm yourself with knowledge. Learn about herbs, gardening, medicine, how the human body works, running a business, politics, animals, sewing, cooking. So.much.to.learn. & so.little.time......which means it's important to utilize free time in a productive way. [And don't hear me as saying I have mastered this. I am such a work in progress!]

"We must choose to pursue wisdom. It’s up to each of us to determine how we will walk through this life. Wisdom is not something a person stumbles into or acquires automatically. It must be sought out and pursued." -Dr. Charles Stanley [read the rest of the article here].

Living a legacy isn't something that just happens, it is something that is done with great intentionality. It's time used wisely. It's learning that never ceases. It's growing in Godliness. It's investing in real people. Living a legacy is only worthwhile if it is done with the purpose of Glorifying God and advancing His kingdom. 

"But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere."-James 3:17

What are you passing along to your generation, the next generation, the generation after that? Pursue wisdom [check out Proverbs 4].

1 comment:

I <3 comments.