Friday, July 26, 2013

Picking Fruit

To me, picking wild red and black raspberries always screams summer in a nostalgic sort of way. The taste can instantly transport me back to the long dog days of the season where we'd load up and go along the woods to eat as many as we put in our buckets. Grandpa would drive us in his 1980 something brown Ford Ranger, the one that dad tried to teach us kids how to drive a manual-with it's tan leather seats, crank windows, rusty bed.
Source

Source
Summer is undoubtedly the season for the best of the best of all varieties of fruit. Peaches, pineapple, grapes, black cherries, berries--you name it, I'll probably eat it. Lately though, this season has had me thinking about and entirely different variety of fruit.
Source
Galatians 5 starting in verse 13-26 talks about living life by the Spirit. Because of the Spirit we have freedom in Christ. Which is of course awesome...but I often hear people justifying their actions because of their "freedom." Verse 13 says, "You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love." 

How do we produce good fruit then? 
Well look at John 15:1-8, specifically verses 4 & 5 when Jesus says:

"Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."

If we apply this truth to our life, then we know that to produce the sweet fruit of Galatians 5, we must stay connected to the Grower. We can attempt to be "a better person" on our own
 but it would be in vain without Christ. Tending to the relationship with Jesus by reading His word, spending time talking to Him, and being obedient to His voice will produce Fruit of the Spirit. 
BELIEFS --->VALUES ---> BEHAVIORS 
 What you choose to believe affects your value system 
and your values affects your behaviors and actions. 

Believe in the truth of God's word.
Align your values to His.
And your actions should be a reflection 
of the Truth you proclaim. 

What Truths have the Lord been teaching you? 

"Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.  
Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."
Galatians 5:24 & 25 

4 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUl! You are a real gem Olivia. I love to read your posts. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful. I love your perspective on the fruit of the Spirit, especially how our behaviors stem from our values, which stem from our beliefs. Beautifully written!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad you got blogger figured out. =) Now you just need to make a blog yourself. ;) Thanks for the sweet comment!

      Delete

I <3 comments.