Thursday, June 13, 2013

Homemade Granola--[Clean Eating]

I think we all like the idea of eating healthier. But in reality, sometimes that's hard to do, and there are things that are hard to give up. I have been trying to eat cleaner, loading up on fresh, unprocessed foods. This week I decided that boxed cereal had to go. Chemicals and sugar galore.While I have been on a great oatmeal kick for a few weeks, I am not super into a hot bowl of oatmeal to start off a warm summer day. Most homemade granola recipes take heaps of brown sugar and butter melted to bind together the dry ingredients. I wanted something I could feel good about starting my day off with. So with great desperation, I googled, "clean eating granola" and to my great delight and surprise I found this amazing recipe at The Gracious Pantry--which has quickly become one of my favorite sites for recipes.

It seems that no matter how fabulous a recipe may be, I can't leave well enough alone and tweaked the recipe, so here is my version:

Homemade Granola [Clean Eating]
Makes about 9 cups. 

6 cups oats [or mixed grains...our krogers didn't have them]
1 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2/3 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Preheat oven to 325F.

Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl. 

Whisk wet ingredients in a small, separate bowl. 

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients 
& mix with a spatula until everything is well coated.  
Spread on two lined [foil or parchment paper] cookie sheets 
and bake for 45-60 minutes stirring every 10-15 minutes. 

Mine took right about an hour checking it every 15 minutes.
 You want it to be dry and slightly golden.
 Let it cool and store in an airtight container. 



In the original recipe pecans, flax seed, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg were not called for...but like I said i like to change recipes. I would consider this to be a basic recipe, with lots of room to change it to your preference. I want to try adding raisins, cranberries, dried apples, maybe even using molasses to creating a gingerbread version...or pure maple syrup or agave nectar instead of honey. So many varieties to try! 

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if a natural peanut butter, or even PB2, could be used in this recipe. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it, but I bet it would be delicious...I'll add it to my list of ingredients to try!

      Delete
  2. I just shared this on my fb page - thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments.