Monday, June 3, 2013

[Easy As Pie]

Sour Cream Apple Pie 
with Cinnamon Topping

Pie:
2 tablespoons flour
Pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 cup sour cream [i've not tried it yet, but you could probably use plain greek yogurt instead]
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large tart apples, peeled and diced [about 2 cups]
1 [9in.] fail proof pie crust, unbaked

Topping:
1/3 cup sugar 
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4  cup cold butter

Pie filling: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Sift the flour, salt, and sugar together. Using an electric mixer, beat in the egg, sour cream, cinnamon, and vanilla into the flour mixture. Beat for 2 minutes. Fold in the apples. Spoon the mixture into the crust, bake for 10-12 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for 30 minutes. 

Topping: Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter until it's a crumbly mix. Remove the pie from the oven and sprinkle evenly with the tipping. Continue cooking the pie for an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown.*

*Mine actually took quite a bit longer, I would suggest starting off covering the whole pie with foil and then removing it for the final 15+ minutes.

Fail Proof Pie Crust: 
 Makes two 9-inch crusts
Ingredients:
 2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
1/2 cup vegetable oil 
1/3 water

Directions:
Mix dry ingredients together. Mix oil and water together in a separate bowl. Stir wet and dry ingredients together until well mixed. If it's still too dry, add small amounts of water and oil.

The directions are so short and sweet, because this is the simplest crust....and it's good too. I had mine made, in my pie plate, and the mess cleaned up in 10 minutes...faster than running to the store! 

 I used one Golden Delicious Apple & two Granny Smiths. 
This is right before I popped it into the oven.

 Fresh pie! Ah... makes the house smells like an elephant ear.
This is actually from the one I made for my family today, the other two photos are from Friday when I made one for a bonfire. For ours, I used whole wheat flour for both the crust, filling, and topping


5 comments:

  1. Hey girl!! Saw your post on Erin's blog and I had to come follow you---I am a former shower too! Pigs and sheep. Loved every minute of it!! So fun!

    ~Tiffany
    http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Love having new readers. =) I got to try my hand at sheep showing last summer...so glad I picked pigs for my 4-H career.

      Delete
  2. oh. my. goodness. ok, my mouth is now watering....

    great post over on erin's blog, btw. :)

    xo
    purposelyathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! You must let me know if you try making this. It doesn't last long around here. =)

      Delete
  3. Clicked over from Erin's blog!...And clicked on your tabs and older post button several times! Erin mentioned that we should check out your room redo post, but I can't find a search button, what's the link to that post?

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments.