Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Runner [Enduring the race of the Christian life]

Source
  Running is a metaphor for the Christian 
life because it's an endurance test.
 It's a marathon, not a sprint.
 -Scott Dixon

Did you know that running is the #1 sport [as in the number of participants, not popularity] in America?

1. There are no shortcuts. It's long obedience in the same direction.

2. Beware of using others as the standard for true spirituality. Comparing what we know about ourselves with what we don't know about those we are comparing ourselves too can be lethal. And be fully content with how God has chosen to use your passions and gifts.

3. Stop pretending and trust God in your "unfinishedness." Jesus isn't repelled by flawed people...He actually spends His time pursuing them.

4. Keep your eyes on the finish line.


"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,  fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. -Hebrews 12:1-3 

These were some of my sermon notes from church last week. As soon as the pastor said something about running, my ears really perked up. When he started to compare running to the life of a follower of Christ, I could instantly understand the parallel he was trying to draw. Running is hard work, but never have I finished a run & said, "The pain and discomfort of that run wasn't worth it, and even though it only lasted for a time, I wish I never started." 

Much the same, the Christina life, it isn't free of pain or discomfort, but compared to the end result of hearing the Lord say, "Well done my good & faithful servant," those things are so menial and fleeting in light of eternity. Racing towards the feet of Jesus is one race I want to always be running, no matter what obstacles are placed before me. What about you? 


6 days & counting until my first 1/2 marathon!!!

2 comments:

  1. very wise. I started running because I felt fat, but kept running because I loved pushing myself, striving and the confidence it gave me - both in my running and my walk with God.

    I love how well you summed this up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is simple, but true. Praying that we would pursue Christ every step that we take with our running to glorify him!

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments.