Monday, March 25, 2013

Why I Decided to Run a 1/2 Marathon [& other running things]

13.1
That is the number of miles I have registered & PAID to run. 
May 4th
Columbus, OH

Call it crazy. Call it an adventure. Call it [almost] checked off this year's bucket list!
   Training schedule from a few weeks ago, my distance has increased greatly since then

It all started this summer. I have always had a hate-hate relationship with running. For years I have tried so very hard to at least like it, but I decided to start slow and work towards a goal. So at the beginning of July, I printed off a schedule and "committed" to do the Couch to 5K training schedule. My hope was that I would build up my running endurance slowly and I would learn to enjoy it along the way. 

I lasted 6 weeks out of 9. It was a noble effort.
I tried to run a couple times a week, but nothing regular. 

At the beginning of October, I hit a point where I decided I was done...
Done with not being tone.
Done with never joining a gym.
Done with finding excuses to never get a trainer.
Done with hating to run.

So I joined a gym, got a personal trainer, and started training for a half marathon.
Those were three life altering decisions.
I needed to set a goal for myself, and the half marathon was just what I needed.
So I somehow convinced a non running friend of mine to run the 1/2 with me.

Before I had thought, that with my work schedule, I didn't have anymore than 30 minutes a day, if even to exercise. Plus, I was way too tired at the end of the day...excuses, excuses. I have the time if I make the time...and my energy level is much improved.

I do strength/resistance training twice a week and that has made a huge difference in my running endurance.Two weekends ago, I did 8 miles in 1hr. 18min.--the farthest I've ever ran. And I NEVER would have dreamed I could run that far. But I almost love it....I look forward to it.

I like to look at it this way, I once heard it said that the prime of your life is 18-25 years old. If I am in the "prime of my life," shouldn't I be in the prime shape of my life? Won't the exercise and eating habits I have now shape how I live and eat for the rest of my life? If I am going to stick with this theory, then my life needs to actions need to back up my words.

 My body is not my own, and everything I do with it should glorify God.

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies." -1 Corinthians 6:19-20
 
Things that I love to have when running:
  • Chapstick
  • Gum
  •   The Nike running app-tracks your calories burned, your miles, your times. I absolutely love it. 
  • Good fitting/super cute shoes [Nike Free Run 4.0]:
 

  •  And running buddies make it so much more fun: 
FREEZING cold weather and it was snowing. We were troopers.

Saturday I actually broke every single one of my current records. I did my fastest mile, fastest 5K, fastest 10K, longest distance [10 miles baby!!!], and longest time. I was fairly pleased. =)


40 days to go & counting!!! 
Running isn't ideal for everyone...do you have a preferred form of exercise? 
If you're a runner, what are some of your favorite accessories/supplies? 
Tips or advice for a 1/2 marathon newbie?   


1 comment:

  1. "Just keep running, just keep running, just keep running, running, running..." -Dory (Morgan's version!)

    That's my advice.

    Oh and wear cute running clothes so you're excited to run. I think you've checked that one off your list as well. ;) GO LIV!

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments.