Monday, December 3, 2012

Jesus & One Direction [What Makes You Beautiful]

I'm not normally the type to compare song lyrics to Jesus....or try to figure out if the song is talking about a guy or Jesus. [side note: i do realize the following song is talking about girls...not Jesus.]

I'm not normally the type to listen to boy bands.
 I am normally the one to be about 3 weeks to a year [at the least] behind on major cultural fads.

For the past, who knows how long, I have heard talk about One Direction-the darling teen boys with accents. Instant American hit. 

I finally decided to look them up and listen to one of their songs....I found What Makes You Beautiful...which I actually did recognize.

&

 I feel ridiculous to admit it...but I am completely stuck on the song. 
I wish youtube had a repeat button. 

[select lyrics]

 Don't need make-up,
To cover up,
Being the way that you are is enough,

If only you saw what I can see,
You'll understand why I want you so desperately,
Right now I'm looking at you and I can't believe,
You don't know,
Oh oh,
You don't know you're beautiful,

I was blaring it a few nights ago while I had the house to myself, dancing like a crazy lad,y trying to wear off the caffeine buzz from the Dr. Pepper I allow myself to have earlier in the day.

after the 7th listen or so, it hit me....


Jesus wants us so desperately.
 He wants us to see ourselves as He sees us.
To see our worth measured by His standards.
 To see how beautiful we truly are to Him.
 His desire is for us all to have a personal relationship with Him.


 Yet, we allow ourselves to doubt our self worth by using the worlds' standards of who we should be.

We are beautiful because we are Christ's creation-
 made in the image of our Creator.



Three hour lunch date with one of my genuinely beautiful friends--inside&out.

xoxo

liv







2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Olivia! I really do like this song, and listen and dance to it all the time. ;) I love your thoughts on it. Thank you for the reminder!

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liv-
    You are a wise lady to realize that the beauty we should desire comes from within. I wanted to share with you something from when Jeremy and I were courting. He had things he desired in a spouse, and one was entitled "beauty"

    Beauty: She must posses beauty that is deeper than skin. The importance of a gentle and quiet spirit makes a person very lovable and attractive.

    Even the man we choose to spend forever with should look beyond the surface. God sees us for who we are without the makeup and special clothes.

    Love you!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments.