Thursday, November 29, 2012

[Running For My Life]

In case you assumed from the title of the post that I was running for my life, you assumed wrong. It's actually the title of my new favorite book about Olympic runner Lopez Lomong. He tells of his journey to America from war torn Sudan. He escaped rebel soldiers at age 6 by running nearly 40 miles to Kenya. He was then sent to a refugee camp where he spent the next 10 years of his life. He loved running since he was tiny. In the refugee camp before anyone was allowed to play soccer they had to run 30K....you know, like 18 miles. And he did that daily....while surviving on one meager meal a day. This book also made me want my parents to adopt a lost boy. The civil war lasted for years in Sudan so I am sure there is still a great need....

Christian recording artist, JJ Heller has a blog where she is chronicling her journey to train for a 1/2 marathon and recently blogged about Lopez. She said she couldn't put the book down...anything that might potentially inspire me to run, I just about try. I requested it as quickly as I could from the library and dug in as soon as it was in my hands and didn't stop till I had finished it. If only I could run and read. Anywhoo, I highly encourage you to get the book, so worth it, and it might even help inspire you to run. I am working on becoming a runner. The farthest I've gone so far is 5 miles.

What I've learned about running so far: 

One foot in front of the other, without falling off the treadmill, and focusing on something other than how much farther you have to go is the best way to run.




"...And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." -Hebrew 12:1

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."Philippians 4:13 
...my personal verse that helps me survive running...

xo

liv

No comments:

Post a Comment

I <3 comments.