Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Nanny Chronicles

 

"After I get married I am going to live with my grandma & grandpa." 

So I ask, "Will you marry me?"

"I can't. My mom & dad wouldn't let me do that."

I asked him again later.

"I will marry you in a few days but I am on the phone right now."

Making sure I am getting all the facts straight, "So are we still going to live at your grandma & grandpa's?"

"Yes. But first we need to get my 'bajamas', pull-ups, & workin' clothes." 

Welcome to my daily life.

 nan·ny [nan-ee]

a person, usually with special training, employed to care for children in a household.
My occupation for the past 6 months has been quite the experience. Spending 48 hours of my life [a week] with a 3 year old and 1 1/2 year old has been a huge transition for me. It's a job that I had always thought would be a good fit for me, but due to my location I'd either have to drive about an hour for work or move. I was never seriously interested enough to seek out a position. Last September, I started and quit my 2nd year of college all in the same day-within the same hour really. I decided that I was done with school, it wasn't for me. I tried and that was satisfying enough. I had five piano students and was staying fairly busy on weekends with cake decorating. I didn't have a plan, but I didn't need to have one....God had it for me. Two weeks after quitting school a friend mentioned that there was a family moving nearby that was seeking a full time nanny. There just aren't positions available like that around here, I live in the cornfields. I told my friend to pass on my info because I would definitely check into it at the very least. I interviewed with my boss on a Saturday morning in October and 3 days later, after interviewing 2 others, I got a call that the job was mine if I wanted it. I met the kids at the end of October and gave her my final answer then. The adventure began in the middle of December. God literally laid this job in my lap & completely in His perfect timing. 

Being a nanny has its pros & cons. It's a sad job-both parents are missing out on so much of their kids' lives & I am the one getting to live life with them. I did the first pigtails and painted nails. School, library trips, playdates, park visits. I am the one hauling them and scheduling activities for us to do. I make lunch and sometimes breakfast, do laundry and dishes. We watch shows and play for hours. Temper tantrums and time outs are a regular part of our routine. Nap time is my favorite part of the day. I've cleaned pee off carpet in a closet, puke off of a variety of places, and backed my on the job vehicle into another vehicle in a parking lot. I've spent a fair amount of time laughing at hilarious antics and nearly crying out of frustration and lack of patience.


*Unfortunately, I am not allowed to post any pictures of the kiddos....but they are cuties....I promise.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I <3 comments.