Thursday, January 21, 2010

Of Sewing & Such…

I have two very dear friends {they are sisters} that had birthdays recently. The first was on Christmas day and the other on Jan. 7th, a week before my own. I was late getting them presents but I really wanted to come up with something that I knew they would love. Knowing that Rach likes to cook & bake and she didn’t have a darling apron to do it in gave me the first of my ideas. I googled aprons and saw this one and decided to attempt it. I decided to make hers a full apron instead of just half and I didn’t follow the blogger’s  instructions, just looked at it and guessed.

100_0259  The first 3 layers were more ruffled but by the end I was in the pleating mood, so that’s how it ended.100_0255

Full shot. What I did was trace my mom’s apron {a very flat, simple design} and then guessing for the ruffles I just did a hem around all of the sides. I sewed my ruffles to the back part’s {the stripes} edge to give it more of a finished look.100_0256   I am so thankful that I live about 20 min. from a Jo-Ann fabrics. I spent about 1 1/2 hrs. in there trying to find 5 fabrics that I liked and would match. Pair that with 7 hrs. of sewing and about $8 and you get one very surprised,  appreciative birthday girl. I’ll admit, I got frustrated when it came to the ruffles, but it all turned out good.100_0253

As for the other birthday girl. Knowing her love of these kinds of boards, and the fact that they are getting ready to redo their room in a French theme {black and white being their main colors}, I thought this to be a simple, yet adorable, gift. For those of you who don’t know what this is, you slide pictures under the ribbon.

100_0254What you do is take a board however big you’d like it {mine was 17”x12”} by about 1/2 in. thick {so it’s not to heavy to hang}. My brother suggested plywood or press particle board. Take quilt batting and measure it to the same size as your board and your fabric needs to be about 1 1/2 in. larger than your board. You can use a staple gun, but I used hot glue and put a few small nails around the edges to secure the fabric. The I stretch the ribbon so there is about 1 in. excess on the back and hot glue it down. Add buttons at the “X’s” and wa-la. If you don’t have buttons that match I found out that you can just paint them. I used 3 brown, 1 red, and 1 blue buttons and painted them black. Very simple and it only cost about $7 .

6 comments:

  1. They are absolutely CUTE! I love the ruffles on the apron, it is such a neat gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good liv!!! Looks to me like your sewing skills are doing fine:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH! I love the Apron!! Cute! And the board thing (the name of it just left me!) Is oh so adorable! I have been wanting to take an old one we have a revive it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE them both!! nice work olivia!! =)

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments.