Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Circle Of Life, err…Friends

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them."         - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Coterie {noun}: An intimate or exclusive group; a clique.

I’ll just admit it…I am in a clique. Breathe now, it’s not exactly what you think. The subject has come up once or twice this week and a synonym for clique was one of this weeks vocabulary words {my mom will be glad that I used it on my blog}. Jared and I {Morgan use to be included but she’s moved onto an older bunch…although sometimes she joins in parties and stuff} have a cool clique and we even include new people, quite often actually. It’s more like a circle of friends that we see each other ALL the time. There are guys and girls…I’m like the 3rd oldest, everybody else is in the 13, 14, 15 range {plus a 5 and 8 year old are my constant companions when we are near each other}. We’re pretty much all homeschooled and are in at least one activity with each other throughout the week. My friend Cassidy and I have know each other for years over a decade plus like 5 years. Here are all the activities that I see Cass at throughout the year:

Sept. Homeschool Co-op starts, we see each other every Friday.

Oct., Nov.-ish: Basketball starts, we go to the practices {both of use have a brother that plays} plus the games. So we see each other on Mondays, Fridays, or Saturdays {or all three}.

End of Jan. through Apr.: This year, we are in the Pride & Prejudice play together so we see each other once a week at practice.

Apr.-ish-Jul.: Last year we had a running club for homeschoolers. It started as co-op and b.ball finished. Still saw each other twice a week.

We get a few weeks off from each other {lol} and then we all are at the fair in the late August hanging out while hopping from barn to barn to watch each other show.  Then co-op starts back in Sept. and we do it all over again!

Crazy, huh? And we even email throughout the week despite us seeing each other so often. It does change some, it just depends.  We were at a basketball party Saturday night when about 6 of use girls {including Morg} were standing around in a circle {as we so frequently do} talking to Cass’s dad. Cassidy and Celia walk away and Mr. N was in utter shock. He asked, “Can two girls just walk away in a clique, leave the conversation and your okay with that?” He was clearly confused…which made it so much more funny. We of course told him that yes, in fact, they could walk away and then come back and rejoin the conversation as if they never left. That might be more of a girl thing that a clique thing but I’m not sure. So are you in a clique and don’t even realize it? I don’t think it’s a bad thing, just so long as you aren’t closed and don’t make new friends, so as not to mess up the perfect little circle. It drives me nuts when girls go off and whisper with each other and huddle in a little circle…in public. If you want to have a private chat then wait till you’re somewhere private.

Make new friends,
but keep the old.
One is silver,
the other is gold.

 

<><

Olivia

1 comment:

  1. I have that first quote in my room, it's awesome! I got a little friendship quote book for Christmas, and that is my favorite one.

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments.