Monday, June 2, 2008

~The Journey~

Here's a short story I wrote for a creative writing project last school year. I thought it would be fun to post despite the fact that I find it to be a bit cheezy. Leave me a comment and tell me what you think! BTW: All of my paragraphs were indented but blogger didn't do it and I didn't want to go through the whole thing.
Part I
" Momma don’t leave me!" I cried as I held my mother’s frail hands.
" I love you sweetheart," came her last raspy response. The infection finally won and I lost my mother when I was fifteen. From there I became angry, angry with everyone and everything. My father, who was still grieving his beloved wife, didn’t know what to do with me. He finally decided to send me out west for a while to live with my older sister and her husband. They had a ranch they established three years earlier.
The date was May 11, 1853 and I was set to leave on the 11 o’clock stage to Oklahoma. Since I no longer had my mother to sew me new dresses, my Father took me shopping. I had a hard time choosing between all the dresses. I did purchase three everyday dresses, one dress for church, and a grey traveling dress made from wool. I also found a straw hat with a little blue bird sitting atop. I bid good-bye to my father and finally boarded the stage.
Upon entering the stagecoach, I realized that I would be traveling with three other passengers. I sat beside and older lady who enjoyed talking and from her size I assumed eating was a pastime as well. There were also two gentlemen aboard. The first one around nineteen or twenty and the other, an older gentleman around my father’s age. Our journey was said to take around one week, that is if all goes well!
By the time my second hour in the coach rolled had around, Mrs. Tisle had informed me on everything she thought I should know.
" You poor dear have no mother to finish raising you. My beloved George passed on fifteen years ago and I was so lonesome until I got Fred, my cat. He was so comforting I got seven more. I dreaded having to leave them behind but I knew it was for the best. Do you think they have cats in Oklahoma because…" her voice droned on. I quit listening after so long and just stared out my small window.
Seeing the trio of me racing behind us, I naively ask the older gentleman, Mr. Carter,
" Should we tell the driver some men are trying to catch up?" A gasp from Mrs. Tisle lets me know that the driver would want to know but we were far from slowing down. Trouble was headed our way. Incidentally enough, the men chasing us were the highly dangerous and wanted Broncho Trio. Sheriffs had been keeping an eye out for these outlaws. They finally caught us, held the stage up, and roughly pulled us from our seats. We were then tied up and held up at gunpoint.
The coach driver had forgotten to tell his passengers he was carrying a safe full of money for the National Bank of America. After finding this out, we were none to pleased with our driver, who was also tied up at the moment.
After retrieving the loot the outlaws saw to leaving us in the middle of nowhere with our horses free to go. Training his horses to stay when told about all I could figure the driver did right. Yanking at our knots for hours did end up successfully. The younger gentleman, Mr. Gabriel Tucker was the brilliant one who studied knots and untangled us.
We decided to just camp where we were for the night, with each man taking a shift to guard what was left of our belongings. Sleep on the hard ground didn’t come quickly for me. I had Mrs. Tisle’s snoring and the sounds of the wild animals helping to keep me awake, but a sweet melody coming from Mr. Tucker finally lulled me to sleep. We all dreaded having to once again climb aboard the stagecoach where we sat on stiff benches for hours upon hours. We were nearing our destination, which was said to be reached within three days if we had no more delays. I had already read two of the books I brought along and one Mrs. Tisle loaned me.
We often spoke about where our journey would take us when it was finished. Mrs. Tisle was out to visit with her brother, Herman P. Hayworth, Mr. Carter was visiting his sister like I was, and Mr. Tucker was looking for land to start a ranch of his own. Our journey was that we would remember for the rest of our days and it would be bittersweet when finished. We reached the stagecoach drop off, Ranch Hand, Oklahoma, on the twentieth of May. We were a day off schedule but we were glad we were safe and healthy. My sister met me at the drop and we then traveled fifteen miles to their ranch.
Part 2
On the way to my sister’s ranch, we reminisced about our mother, sharing different things we remembered about her. My bitterness had left me and the pain was easier to bear now. I had become optimistic about researching where I called "nowhere" and I was once again happy to see my brother-in-law, who warmly greeted me upon our arrival.
" Welcome Charlotte!" bellowed his hello, " My you’ve grown into a lovely young woman."
Such a compliment caused red to creep up my cheeks and all I could utter was, "Thank you." As we entered their small stone home, I was again welcomed, but this time by the aroma of a delicious hot supper. I was promised a tour of the land and the cattle the next day as I retired to my room.
After a large breakfast of pancakes, bacon, biscuits, eggs, and fresh milk, I knew that the day could only get better. We saddled up after seeing the barn and choosing horses. Mine was a gorgeous, young, paint mare by the name of Jasmine. She was said to be the calmest and most reliable horse on the ranch. It was a privilege for me to ride her.
We headed west so that the morning rays wouldn’t blind us as we gazed upon the herd. All one hundred and twelve head of cattle were grazing in the low pasture, which was rich with lush grass and a bubbling creek. The time to sell the cows was coming soon as the summer approached. After selling the cattle a roundup would be organized in hopes of finding more cattle than had been sold.
As the day progressed, my backside grew sorer. It was mid-day when we finally reached my sister’s home and climbed out of our saddles. After washing up, we were presented with a delicious lunch made by my sister. As we talked and ate, I realized how comfortable I had become here and wished that maybe my father would join me in this barren territory. Our correspondence never ceased, even with the long journey to town.
The summer’s end was drawing near and I had to go back home to be ready for a new school year. I was hoping that my father would return with me one day to be near my sister. I knew I would return with my teaching license eventually, with or without my father. As I waved good-bye to my sister and her husband from the stagecoach, I dreaded leaving, for this was where I know called home.

4 comments:

  1. Great story Olivia! I liked it! Has Morgan had her graduation party yet? My computer has died and we do not have internet (I am at McDonalds--free wifi), so thats why I havent posted anything. I just thought I would check in!
    TTYL,sasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did she marry Mr. Tucker?!? Did Mrs. Tisle find some cats?!? It begs for a sequel :)
    I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love it Liv! I like the Oklahoma part of it! You're a girl after my own heart! Great job, I'm w/ abigail t...we need a sequel :) Lynnerd

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments.